"Romans 10:9" - Mountain Goats
On the train heading back to DC from the City of Brotherly Love. Sorry for the dearth of posting, but the schedule has just been crammed during the day and, for some reason, I have had the semblance of a busy social life for the last week. This too shall no doubt pass.
- I am convinced that the chance of any gun control legislation getting through Congress is virtually nil for the simple reason that the GOP House majority is batshit crazy. Nothing, however minimal or reasonable, will get passed by them. Kudos to New York though for passing a far reaching bill.
- Similarly, this batshit craziness could well lead to a default on the debt. I think Obama is actually going to stick to his guns. Indeed, believe it is essential that he do so. But I cannot believe that a majority of the GOP House caucus will permit him a victory on this issue. And I don't think Boehner will be willing to forgo the "Hastert Rule" so soon after doing so on the "fiscal cliff" issue. As a result, really bad shit is likely to ensue on the debt ceiling front.
- Except that Boehner had to ignore the Hastert Rule again today in order to get the Sandy relief bill through. I don't know if that means he really can't do this on the debt ceiling or that he absolutely will need to do this on the debt ceiling.
- This pleases me on a day in which I had to pay my quarterly (and rather substantial) homage to the federal government despite being permitted no representation whatsoever in Congress.
- David Broder is dead but his spirit lives on.
- My predicted Denver - Green Bay Super Bowl seems to have failed to materialize. Indeed, the only game I picked correctly in last weekend's NFL playoffs was the win by personal favorites the Patriots. I am now predicting a New England - San Francisco Super Bowl, which will be known as the Elitist, Bi-coastal, Un-American Bowl.
What is capturing your attention?