"Another Sunny Day" - Belle & Sebastian
A celebration of a gorgeous week of weather here -- the heat and humidity finally broke last week and we have been basking in perfection.
- When are they just going to start dropping the N word? Gary Bauer claims that Obama's vote will come from "welfare checks and voter fraud." Bauer claimed "Republicans will have to contend with lots of fake votes from the big cities." Mmmm, "welfare checks" and fraudulent voters "from the big cities." This is extraordinarily offensive stuff -- will anyone in the mainstream media call Bauer on this transparently racist meme? (Incidentally, there are all of four million people on welfare -- that is TANF, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.)
- Oh wait, I'm wrong. We all know the real racists work for Planned Parenthood. Jesus, these people are insane and shameless.
- On a more amusing note, the New York Times features a thoughtful review of Hannah Rosin's The End of Men and another devastating review of Naomi Wolf's Vagina: A New Biography.
- A fairly interesting column by Thomas Friedman (not something I write very often) on political developments in China. I've repeated this many times, but whatever problems the U.S. has pale in comparison to the difficulties the Chinese political system is confronting.
- And a good Times editorial on the continued problem of retirement in the U.S.
What's going on with all of you?